This is the first course of that traditional Bengali meal
Greens are a popular first course in Bengal. Make this slightly smoky, sautéed spinach with creamy aubergine and a sweet vegetable (winter squash or sweet potato) for a unique blend of flavours
500 g spinach cleaned, washed and chopped
200 g aubergine/eggplant diced
200 g of sweet potato/winter squash
¼ teaspoon nigella seeds (also called kalonji or black caraway)
2 tsp neutral oil
1 small dried red chilli (optional)
- Heat oil. When very hot, add the chilli (if using) and the seeds.
- Once the chilli turns brown or the seeds have sizzled for a few seconds, remove the chilli if you don’t want spicy food. It can be used for garnishing or to make an individual diner’s food hot as per taste.
- Add sweet potato/winter squash and sauté, over medium low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add aubergine/eggplant and sauté until vegetables are almost cooked through.
- Add the greens and sauté till they are wilted and the vegetables are soft. If things start to dry up and burn before they are cooked, add a splash of water.
- Add salt.