The second course of that traditional Bengali meal
A Bengali meal without lentils is incomplete. This dish tastes luxurious with the addition of a spoonful of ghee, but is also good without.
200 g split and hulled green gram (mung dal) – picked and rinsed
800 ml water
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
½ tsp turmeric
150 g tomato puree
1 dried red chilli (optional)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp ghee (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add mustard and chilli (if using).
- When the mustard starts to splutter, add ginger and stir fry for a few seconds. Don’t let it burn. Remove chilli at this point if you want.
- Add the water, lentils, salt and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until lentils are falling apart.
- Check seasoning and thickness and adjust to taste. Stir in the ghee and remove from heat. Serve with aubergine fritters (stay tuned for recipe).